Motor bike n rice fields

Whether you call them motorcycles or motorbikes, they’re unmistakable in Indonesia. They’re the most common mode of transportation. And on most islands, they’re pretty much everywhere!

The same is true for the rice fields (with the exception of some islands). When you see them, it’s easy to get lost in their beauty–especially if you’re from a country that doesn’t grow rice. The vast fields of lush green are simply gorgeous.

So why would I photograph them in black and white?

Well, because I thought it would emphasize the contrast between two very different things: noisy bikes and peaceful rice paddies.

Motor bike n rice fields

When I’d walk near the rice fields, I felt a sense of peace. I loved their beauty and the quite moments I enjoyed when I passed them during a morning stroll.

The motorbikes, on the other hand, usually drove me crazy. They’re so loud and they’re omnipresent. Disturbing if you’re trying to enjoy a quiet moment. And it’s hard to escape them (unless you go to an island like Gili Meno, which doesn’t allow them..a real paradise in my opinion).

Photographic Details

Camera: Olympus XZ-1
F stop: 2.2
Shutter: 1/100
ISO: 100
Filter: Grainy film (high-contrast b/w)

Your Thoughts/Reactions?

Have you been to Indonesia? If so, what did you think of the rice paddies? I thought they were dreamy.

And how about the motorbikes? Did you love ‘em? Maybe you drove them? Or did you hate them? I had a love-hate relationship with them.

Do you sometimes shoot black-and-white photos of scenes or objects or people that look great in color? If so, why? If not, why not?

Hungry for More?

Want to read about some of my adventures  in Indonesia? Click here.

Want to see more photos from around the world? Here are the other ‘photos of the day‘ (people, places and things) from several continents.

Like to play games? Want to see things from a unique angle? Enjoy learning about new places? Then check out my  Trippy Travel Photos!

6 Responses to Noisy Bike, Peaceful Paddies–Indonesian Contrast in Black and White (Photo of the Day)
  1. Colleen Brynn
    December 3, 2013 | 6:56 pm

Personally, I’m terrified of motorcycles. I just imagine my skin getting peeled off like grapeskin on the highway. *overactive imagination*?
    I think I would want to escape the noise… good to know there are some options!
    Colleen Brynn recently posted..Sola In AnguillaMy Profile

December 3, 2013 | 10:32 pm

Grapeskin? Ouch!

But after some of the hell rides I took in Indonesia (as a passenger only), I don’t know if your imagination is overactive. :) I was terrified at times (eg, in heavy traffic, on crappy roads, heading into a circle on the left side, etc.). I also heard about plenty of people who got into serious accidents/died, etc.

I definitely preferred walking along the rice paddies–in peace. :)

2. Maria
    December 4, 2013 | 8:04 am

I’m the opposite of Colleen – love bikes and this photo takes me back to SE Asia. Lisa, I really dig that you used black and white on this one – makes the composition a little richer.
    Maria recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – OpulenceMy Profile

December 4, 2013 | 9:54 am

Hi, Maria. Glad you appreciate the composition, etc. V Cool!

3. Dennis Kopp
    February 25, 2014 | 11:23 am

Lisa, I actually like your contrast between the motorcycle and the rice paddies. On the other hand these two things also seem to complement each other as I personally loved nothing more than exploring Indonesia by scooter. There is always something really compelling about being able to get around on your own terms, especially if there are such beautiful landscapes to explore as in Indonesia… :)
    Dennis Kopp recently posted..Gili Air, laid-back Routine and TraditionMy Profile

February 27, 2014 | 10:59 am

Hi, Dennis. Thanks for sharing your thoughts re: this photo. I know what you mean about the complement of the bike and rice fields. In many ways, it represents the quintessential Indonesia…