Trippy Travel Photo 32

This photo is of ‘The Holy Trinity’—aka, La Martine Cedar—one of the world’s largest wooden sculpture (39 meters), found in Bcharre, Lebanon. The sculptor, Rudy Rahme, carved these figures out of dead cedar tress in the Cedars of Lebanon, often referred to as the Cedars of God. Look closely and you’ll see the face of Jesus sculpted into the tree (note: this photo contains just 2 parts of the Trinity).

According to several sites, the sculptures (3 in total) contain 70 human figures that represent the birth, life and death of Jesus, as well as the relationship between time and place. It took Rahme 6 years to complete, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. The Cedars of God, the grove of trees in which this sculpture is located, was added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1998.

Trippy Travel Photo 32

Trippy Travel Photo Game Winner Is…

This photo was originally posted as part of the Trippy Travel Photo game. Blog visitors guess what the photo is of and where I took it. This round’s winner: Jeruen Dery of Memoirs of a Traveling Linguist. He has won this game many times and is now the reigning champion!

Can’t get enough?

Like this game? Want to see the world from a unique angle? Enjoy learning about new places? Here are all of the Trippy Travel Photos–guesses and winners–all on one page. If you like photography in general, then check out my Photo of the Day feature. You’ll find cool photos from all over the world. Enjoy!

12 Responses to ‘Holy Trinity,’ Bcharre, Lebanon—One of the World’s Largest Wooden Sculptures (Trippy Travel Photo 32)
  1. Robert
    December 9, 2013 | 1:39 am

OK, I’ll start the ball rolling.
    There strange arrangement of branches reminds me strongly of what we call in Oz a Coral Tree.
    So, my first guess is that this photo was taken in a coastal area of the tropics.

December 9, 2013 | 2:02 pm

Very interesting guess, RGW. :) It’s not a Coral Tree. Can you be more specific re: ‘the tropics’? LOL It probably won’t help you anyway, but it’s worth a try. Ha ha ha.. #tryingtodelaytheinevitable

2. Maria
    December 9, 2013 | 7:27 am

Turkey? *bites nail nervously*

December 9, 2013 | 2:04 pm

V good guess! You’re ‘warmer’ than Robert!

How are those nails doing? I know this is a very important game–high stakes here–so I understand. Playing against Robert and Jeruen can be a challenge, too.

I hope you win it!!

PS: Clue–look very closely at the objects in the photo.

December 9, 2013 | 2:04 pm

Oops. Forgot to say–it’s not Turkey. :)

3. Robert
    December 9, 2013 | 3:10 pm

Hmm… so I was barking up the wrong tree.
    #offtoapoorstart :-)

The carved faces are very interesting, but I cannot tell whether they are simply art or if they are supposed to be Biblical (or religious) faces.

The tree appears to be bare of bark. Bleached by a desert environment?

My guess: a Middle Eastern country. I’ll say Syria.

#fingersandtoescrossed

4. Sussan Morris
    December 13, 2013 | 7:54 am

Whatever be the place is, I can see faces curved on the trunk of the tree and overall it looks stunning. And if I have to guess, I would say it’s Iran or Iraq?

December 14, 2013 | 10:08 am

Hi, Susan. Great guess! There are some faces on the tree trunks–definitely! But the photo was not taken in Iran or Iraq. I must say, though, you’re ‘warm.’ Try again? :)

5. Jeruen
    December 16, 2013 | 7:53 am

I have a feeling this is in the Forest of God in the Cedars in Lebanon, where there are Jesus carvings on the trees.
    Jeruen recently posted..Cavorting in the Caucasus: The Georgian Military HighwayMy Profile

December 17, 2013 | 9:28 pm

Yes, yes, yes!! You win again. Awesome.

The sculptures were done by a Lebanese artist named Rudy Rahme.

Anyway, poor Robert. :(

6. Kevin
    December 18, 2013 | 1:48 am

It’s look like a bloody hand But using leafs and glue, it’ll become a beautiful tree

7. Robert
    December 26, 2013 | 8:26 pm

Oh man… Jeruen is a very knowledgeable traveler.

#putsmetoshame