‘Would You Rather…?’ Game for Travelers (Round 2)

Would you rather

Hello, my fellow travelers, aspiring travelers and armchair adventurers. Let’s get to know each other better!

How?

By playing round #2 of a game called “Would you rather….?” (Click here to see round #1, which was a blast and had a tremendous response.) To keep things interesting, I like to include a few somewhat extreme situations. :)

Would you rather

How to Play

• Just pick a few of the questions (or answer all 6) and tell me/us which situation you would prefer to be in. There is no third option or way around it. It’s one OR the other. :)
  • Then,  explain why you answered as you did. Feel free to share an anecdote re: a similar situation you found yourself in and why it was tolerable or not.

Without further ado, here is is Round 2 of the ‘Would You Rather…?” Game for Travelers. Have fun!

1. Accommodations/Cultural Experience

Would you rather stay…

a) with a local family–awesome cultural experience guaranteed–but the children are noisy and challenging to deal with (eg, the baby has colic and cries all night). Your room’s walls are thin and you can hear it all–even with earplugs and noise-canceling headphones playing white noise or heavy metal. PS: During the day, the baby’s older sister throws tantrums.

Cry Baby

OR

b) in a nice hotel that is quiet, but sterile and devoid of any local culture (eg, a Holiday Inn); it’s near the airport and the only way to get into the local city is by an expensive taxi (round-trip is equal to half the price of your room).

2. Transportation/Company of Others

Would you rather be on a very long (12-hour) bus ride….

a) by yourself with a malfunctioning iPod, no book to read and no journal to write in? And one more thing; you don’t speak the local language and your fellow passengers don’t speak English.

OR

b) with a fellow traveler who won’t stop talking (even if let them know you don’t want to interact)? Note: they’re so boring, you’d rather read the phone book (do they even exist anymore?) or poke yourself in the eye. Body odor is also an issue, and unfortunately, there are no other seats available.

inside route taxi

3. Length of Trip/Luxury vs Budget

Would you rather travel…

a) in extreme luxury for a short time, but with no freedom to do what you want? 10 days and 2 European destinations only (one can be the Riviera)…with limos, lobster and a chance to rub elbows with the rich and famous. You’ll have to pack very dressy clothes, too, and make small talk with snobby people who are beyond boring. One more thing–your entire tour (every minute) is planned. No free time whatsoever.

Gidleigh Park Laughter room

OR

b) for 3 months, but on the lowest budget travel imaginable, with the freedom to travel anywhere you like? Mostly, you’ll be in hostels (even sharing a bed, not just a room, at times); at times, there will be bed bugs. (You have bad luck with Couch Surfing; people cancel at the last minute.)  If you visit a beach, you’re sleeping in a hammock and yes, there will be mosquitoes. And…the food you’ll eat will be mostly from the street, but from carts of a low-quality and dubious nature.

1 Boy + 3 Girls + 1 Room = Bad night for Boy

4. Unique Foods

Would you rather eat…

a)  balut—that developing duck embryo thingee from the Philippines?

Balut/ balot (eeew!)

b) a live tarantula?
Tarantula Eyes - Ojos de Tarántula

5. Edgy Cultural Experiences

Would you rather…

a) watch a voodoo ceremony that’s 100% safe, but aimed at tourists? It’s actually a simulation, which is explained (by an excellent tour guide) before it begins. You learn a lot, but unfortunately, the locals who ‘act’ in it are underpaid and exploited. They would, however,  benefit from your tip. Still, you know it’s not quite authentic.

OR

b) see a voodoo ceremony that’s the real deal, but potentially dangerous? You’ve been invited by a local woman you meet randomly in a supermarket. Her eyes  are very intense and her voice sends a chill up your spine. She tells you that ‘it is your destiny’ to attend. By the way, the only way to get to the ceremony is walk along a secret trail  for 1 hour into the middle of nowhere…late at night…during a full moon…with her uncle who speaks no English whatsoever.

Voodoo Lady!

6. Romance

Would you rather have…

a) an incredibly exciting, passionate romance with a  local that makes you deliriously happy, but is short-term? The chemistry is mind-blowing and you think there’s potential, but sadly, there can never be a real relationship due to cultural and/or religious differences. You can have up to 3  months with this person–and it will be like something out of a dream–but then, the relationship will end. You will never see him/her again.

Lovers at Orval

OR

b) a so so relationship with a fellow traveler with whom you have lots in common and total freedom to be with long-term, but a weak attraction? You are free to travel and explore a relationship as long as you like, and you do enjoy each other’s company, but it feels more like a friendship; the passion is barely there.

You care about him or her, but…

Any ‘Would You Rather…?’ Questions You’d Like to Ask/Share?

I’d like to play this game every 6 months or so. I’m sure I’ll need a few extra questions at some point. If you have any to share–and they’re different than what I’ve already got planned for future rounds–I’d love to use it in a future game and give you credit via a mention and link back to your blog.

What Would I Rather Do?

Ha…great question! I promise I will answer my own questions, but not for a few weeks. It’s a lot more fun this way.

Photo Credits
Choices: Daniel Moyle; baby: Valentina Powers; hotel: Victoria Winters; hostel bed: Chris Barker; balut: Shankar S; tarantula: Hugo Quintero G; voodoo: Willem Heerbaart; romance: Alexandre Dulaunoy.

27 Responses to ‘Would You Rather…?’ Game for Travelers (Round 2)
  1. Stef
    March 4, 2014 | 3:40 pm

Great game. I exactly thought about something similar to question 3 today. I am on a business trip staying in a hotel, wearing chic clothes and eating in the more expensive restaurants. I noticed that it’s something I absolutely do not need and I actually feel more comfortable when travelling on a budget. A budget traveller by heart :P I don’t know, I simply do not understand why I have to pay more money when I only stay in the room to sleep. And I totally prefer to try local food from the street over restaurants with table cloth (that was always a no go for me when I travelled long-term as they are a signal for being more pricey in my opinion :P) So my realisation of the day was definitely that I do not need all the luxury around me, I simply want to experience things and that what important to me. So I would always choose the 3 months trip with a very strict budget and would hate to stay with snobby people in a destination I cannot choose myself what to do. That’s not my way of travelling. I cannot wait to be finally long-term on the road again in September. It’s just what suits me best and makes me happy.
    Stef recently posted..Guest post: Top Attractions of London for first-timersMy Profile

March 5, 2014 | 8:57 am

Hi, Stef. Glad you like the game!!

Interesting re: Q3…you’re living it, huh? Local food is awesome–I like it, too–and I hear you re: wanting to do what you want to do, etc. I’m also much more comfortable with budget travel. I have a lot of fun and meet so many locals. It’s very fulfilling.

Great that you’ll be on the road again in September! Where are you going?

• Stef
        March 7, 2014 | 2:20 am

I’m headed to Mexico probably and yes, I guess I’m totally living it. That’s what makes me happy…Wrote about my story and how I found courage to finally follow my heart on my blog last week (http://bit.ly/P7lJW0). And I think everyone is able to do what he or she loves most. And travelling and experiencing other cultures is a thing what makes me learn the most and makes me enjoy life to the fullest. And street food belongs to that, I cannot understand the people who travel and then eat in restaurants of their countries instead of trying local food.
        Stef recently posted..Where to stay in Byron Bay, Australia: Nomads Byron BayMy Profile

March 11, 2014 | 9:56 am

I’m with you…if you’re there, you should try the street food. That’s what most locals are eating and often, it’s quite good. I remember eating at the night market in Bali and loving it because the locals were there, too. (Also, the food was amazing.)

I’ll check out your story. Sounds great!

• Stef
            March 11, 2014 | 2:52 pm

Yes, I will :) I’m a big fan of street food and definitely prefer it over international restaurants. I think you get more into the culture by eating their food as well. I’m so curious about Mexican street food, whether it tastes like the Mexican food you know or whether it’s different. Bali is of course also on my list. I want to get my diving certificate, hopefully in Mexico and I think Bali is another paradise for diving. And Asian food is of course almost always good :)
            Stef recently posted..Guest Post: A Guide To Kosciuszko National Park For Adventure TravelersMy Profile

March 12, 2014 | 10:58 am

If you go to Bali and find it too overrun with tourists (which I sort of did), you might want to check out the Gili Islands. I found the beaches to be more beautiful. I don’t dive, but I snorkel, and I must say–wow. Here’s a link to a post I wrote about Gili Meno.

Good Q re: Mexican food. I think it tastes somewhat different–unless you live in an ethnic neighborhood and the restaurants are authentic, in which case it might be close. Mostly, it’s different and better there.

2. Maria Falvey
    March 4, 2014 | 11:06 pm

Yay Lisa, I love “Would You Rather” and had a blast with this last time you hosted a round. Here are my answers:

1) HOTEL – if I tried to sleep in that environment the local experience wouldn’t matter because I’d be
    a. Out of it, all day, so the experience would be lost on me.
    b. Grumpy and mean so they wouldn’t want to engage me.
    c. Both a and b leaving the locals no choice but to hire a priest and toss me to the curb after exorcism.

2) I’ll go with A – the overzealous traveler who speaks English and smells would drive me nuts…
    a. If I were stuck in scenario B, I’d hope to be in a country with no extradition.

3) Lisa, this just isn’t fair. 3 months with total freedom but unknown bed-mates, bed-bugs and questionable food? A… no, I’ll go with B, no… A.
    a. I’ll blog about A (B probably doesn’t come with an Internet connection)

4) Balut for sure – had it in Cambodia and it tastes, amazingly, like Chicken!

5) B… especially if I could bring my own doll. Yes, I’m serious!

6) A… No attraction = a No-go and misery for all parties.
    Maria Falvey recently posted..Haiku – Unscripted AllyMy Profile

March 5, 2014 | 9:03 am

Thanks for playing again, Maria–I loved your answers last time, too!

Good point re: being ‘out of it’ due to fatigue. That can ruin the best of experiences. Exorcism? LOL And ha ha about 2. Smells are hard to deal with. I can breathe through my nose only for a few minutes while using a disgusting bathroom, but not for 12 hours.

No Internet in B? Well, actually, there would be. The reason is that you’d most likely be in Asia where you can get it cheap. So you would have it. Does that change your answer?

Balut was ok? Like chicken? LOL

Glad you’d go to the real voodoo ceremony. Somehow, I had a feeling… And 6? I hear you. LOL

3. Jill Rogat
    March 15, 2014 | 11:52 pm

These are definitely some scenarios to consider! I have been on a long bus ride with a chatty and boring passenger who had questionable hygiene habits. I would rather ride in silence with no form of entertainment!

March 16, 2014 | 9:15 pm

Hi, Jill. So you’ve been on a bus ride like that? Funny! So you’d go with silence and no entertainment. I think I’m with you on that. Being next to someone smelly is NOT fun. :) Having peace and space is a beautiful thing, too. I recently rode some mini buses in Jamaica and had a lot of quiet time while others spoke Patois. It was nice. And when I wanted to chat, it was possible, too, because people also speak English.

4. Lindapeasoup
    March 16, 2014 | 10:48 pm

Personally, I would rather be possessed by the devil than eat that duck thing. But the tarantula does look pretty yummy.

March 17, 2014 | 1:01 am

But you’re already possessed by him? I could see you eating the tarantula and savoring every squishy bite.:)

March 17, 2014 | 1:04 am

What about the voodoo? Would you attend the real one?

• Lindapeasoup
        March 17, 2014 | 1:07 am

In answer to your question, most of the voodoo ceremonies in North America occur in my living room. So I really don’t need to leave home. Stop by anytime!

Love,

Linda

March 18, 2014 | 12:32 am

Dear Linda–do you give workshops? Someone told me that. If so, can you share a link to your site and maybe your Twitter handle? If so, I think I can send some business your way.

5. Cara Lopez Lee
    March 17, 2014 | 12:08 am

1) a
    2) b
    3) b
    4) Ewwwwww…I’m not playing anymore, or explaining my answers, because I need to go throw up now.

Okay, I’m back now.

5) b
    6) a

I prefer adventure over comfort in most situations, but apparently not all if 4 is any indication. Thanks for the nightmares. ;)

6. Anna McPherson
    March 17, 2014 | 10:37 pm

Love it! Great game, and glad I cam across your site via Twitter!
    Here goes with my answers:

1 – A – little point travelling if staying in sterile hotels, but I must say option A would still be incredibly challenging to say the least!!!

2 – B – any company is good company, but A could be good opportunity to catch some zzzz

3 – B – perhaps save option A for when I’m too old and decrepit to do and think for myself.

4 – almost lost me here – all I can see is Karl Pilkington (An Idiot Abroad) gagging watching someone else eat one of these embryos, so have to forget option A. And B? – can it be a leg and no more? If so, B, if not, I’ll give A a lick to start with.

5 – B – far more authentic and scary

6 – A – B sounds a little depressing

March 18, 2014 | 12:30 am

Hi, Anna. Love your answers–they are great! I think we’re on a same page. Many of my answers are the same. Funny about 4–it’s a tough one, isn’t it? LOL I think we can downgrade the tarantula. What if it’s stir fried with some Asian spices? That might make the difference. Maybe we could remove the abdomen, too. I think the center would be the worst.

You are very adventurous and I love that. I like that you answered B on 5. Me, too!

Nice to meet you…will look for you over on Twitter.

PS: If you want some more entertainment, check out round 1 of this game. It’s pretty crazy, too! :)

• Anna McPherson
        March 18, 2014 | 1:38 am

Yes, yes, the tarantula’s abdomen would be the absolute worst – can you imagine the awful burst inside your mouth, ahhhh, yukkk! (even with spices on it – no good I say!!)

Off to check out round 1 :)

Have a super day :)
        Anna McPherson recently posted..I’ve Been Tweaked: It Started in Asia’s New ThemeMy Profile

March 18, 2014 | 2:54 pm

You are SO funny–the ‘burst’…ugh. Ha ha. You sound like my kind of traveler!

7. Paola
    March 18, 2014 | 1:26 am

I think that everything depends, but if I went alone:
    1. A. I would save more money and spend more time out, visiting the area in the morning, and I would come back drunk at night so nothing would bother me XD.
    2. A. I cannot handle any human odor. Ewwww. I would prefer to travel with pigs.
    3. B. I would save money to spend on drinks and repellents. Lol
    4. A. I think it would taste like chicken with eggs. Of course I would ask, “Could u boil it for me because I don’t want to risk getting salmonella…
    5. A. I would rather watch the play than interact with a crazy witch. Furthermore, I would not have time to do that because I would be clubbing.
    6. A. Passion is first!!!! I come from a tropical country

March 18, 2014 | 3:30 pm

Hi, Paola. Love your answers!! Sounds like you’d be spending some serious time clubbing no matter what situation you’d find your self in–LOL.

That is SO funny about asking them to boil the balut. Ha ha!

So you’d go for the passion–even if it’s short-term? You’re a risk taker for sure! PS: I think I would, too. :)

8. leidy
    March 19, 2014 | 10:31 pm

Very nice and interesting game.it made me thing in different situations,so there are my answers.
    1)I choose A.Because I have a very heavy sleep, it will not a big problem for me.
    2)A i can sleep in the bus, and use signals for indicate what I want.
    3)B this will remains me my trips whit my family.
    4)This is the most difficult to answer,but I prefer A because I’m scare of spiders.
    5)B Even though can be dangerous,I like adventure.
    6)A although it will be for a shot time,I’m a romantic person , and I prefer to have a magic relationship that I can remember for the rest of my life.

9. Karina
    March 30, 2014 | 10:21 am

This is my dream party game – I’m borrowing it for my next girls night!

1. I choose A. After living in a children’s home while teaching in rural Thailand, I’ve learned I’ll take the relationships I foster over a good night’s sleep every time. After awhile, the lack of sleep conks me out through anything anyway.

2. A again. I’m an introvert and always prefer drawing into myself on bus/train/planes when traveling as my way of recharging.

3. B. I like a little luxury every now and then, but love hitting the road with a backpack and tons of time. Most of my trips have been of the hostelling/homestay variety. I just choose my hostels carefully – ones that attract a mix of young, middle aged and old, not just the party scene. There’s also a nice pace that sets in when travelling for multiple months – a relaxation that allows you to slow down and really soak in a place. That panic to see and do everything (and thus over-sightsee and never really enjoy it) evaporates.

4. A. I hate spiders. Gag reflux initiated.

5. I want to choose B, but my instinct screams A. A woman travelling alone…sometimes better safe than sorry really is a wise saying.

6. A. I have leapt into just this kind of crazy-awesome, short-term whirlwind and it gave me some of the best memories of my life. Wouldn’t trade those for the world.

April 2, 2014 | 10:05 am

Hi, Karina–and welcome to C Bus! You sound like the perfect passenger for my crazy rides! LOL Dream party game? I love that!!!

So…glad that you’d prefer the cultural experience and the relationships. Me, too! And the quiet time on the bus–I’d like that, too.

Ha ha to Q4! Gag reflux…ugh. So you’d eat the balut? Brave woman!

You make a good point re: the voodoo ceremony.

And yes to 6. Why not, right? Those do tend to be the best memories.

You sound like my kind of traveler! :)

10. Hannah Wasielewski
    April 22, 2014 | 11:00 pm

These are great questions! Some of them made me cringe, I think I have answers to all of them.
    1) hotel. I’d like to say that I’m a heavy sleeper and can handle a crying baby, but then I remembered how mad I get when there’s a crying baby on the airplane.
    2) option A. I can handle being alone and looking out the window for 12 hours. sometimes I just like to do absolutely nothing.
    3) option B. I’m all about budget travel! it sounds similar to the trip I took in January to Argentina and Chile…
    4) this makes me want to run to the bathroom and throw up. but I guess I’d opt for option A, considering it’s not living.
    5) option A. although it’s aimed at a tourist, it’s safe. I’d never want to do something that could be potentially dangerous!
    6) option B, a short and hot romance! it’s bound to happen on the road, you might as well have fun with the experience!

this is so great, can’t wait to share with me friends!
    Hannah Wasielewski recently posted..The Ultimate Guide to Teaching English in BrazilMy Profile

April 26, 2014 | 1:20 pm

Hi, Hanna–thanks for playing! I love your answers! So you’d eat the balut? Yum! :) And you’d go for the intense, passionate romance that won’t last? Interesting! I think most people have answered that way.

You sound like fun–nice to meet you here! :)