Jamaican ‘Ganja Tree’ Instagram (Photo of the Day)

ganja tree 3

Quite often, while in rural Jamaica (Billy’s Bay, Treasure Beach), I smelled ganja–marijuana–being smoked. Sometimes, it just hung in the air, as if a part of the atmosphere. Other times, it wafted out from behind some bushes or a tree, accompanied by a rustling sound.

I was told that what I smelled wasn’t necessarily marijuana each and every time–that it was actually a plant that has the same smell. I got a chuckle out of this, of course. The person who told me this is an ex-pat who’s lived in Jamaica for over 20 years.

I believed him…sort of….

Then, one day, while walking, I spotted this tree.

The ‘Ganja Tree’

ganja tree 3

I stopped and admired it for a while, then thought–This is a ganga tree. I didn’t smell ganga at that particular moment, but not long before that, I had. It was still on my mind.

It was more that something about this tree struck me as ‘trippy’ (a word I love to use). It was as if someone back in the hippy era of the late 1960s had created their own tree to represent their version of nature, this might have been it.

I don’t know about you, but I see a face in photo 1.

Ganja Tree 1

Which Instagram Filter Did I Use and Why?

Mayfair. I thought the rich orange tones enhanced the photo nicely.

Your Thoughts/Experiences/Reactions?

Have you been to Jamaica? Did you  smell ganja somewhat frequently? Or was it just once in a while? Where were you, by the way? Did it happen to be Treasure Beach? :)

Did you see any other trippy trees or plants while there? Or anywhere else? If so, what and where?

Also, do you see the face–the one I saw–in photo 1? :)

Enjoy Photography?

Are you a nature lover? Check out these nature posts. Love trees? Here are more tree photos. And if you’d like to see more photos from around the world, here are the other ‘photos of the day‘ (people, places and things) from several continents.

Like to play games? Want to see things from a unique angle? Enjoy learning about new places? Then check out my  Trippy Travel Photos!

7 Responses to Jamaican ‘Ganja Tree’ Instagram (Photo of the Day)
  1. Suki F
    April 29, 2014 | 9:28 pm

I see a face too! This is really interesting. I would have never believed the story about tree that smells like marijuana.

May 5, 2014 | 12:10 pm

Do you? Excellent. I’m not the only one! :)

2. Brenda
    April 30, 2014 | 1:14 pm

Did you see my note about the Lions Club for glasses for the boy in Jamaica ? Check if there is a Jamaican location for the Lions Club too. I am sure there is and there specialty is glasses and outreach.

May 5, 2014 | 12:10 pm

I did, but the boy doesn’t need glasses, so your message didn’t make sense. He’s deaf. He needs a hearing aid.

3. Ryan
    May 1, 2014 | 6:04 am

Pretty freakin’ triply indeed! Very cool =)
    Ryan recently posted..Caution while traveling: The man who thought to rob me. Or so I assumed.My Profile

May 5, 2014 | 12:07 pm

Hi, Ryan…right? Trippy tree. :)

4. […] was also this tree that I saw that I named the ‘Ganja Tree.’ There was something about it that made me think that it was created by someone who’d […]