Watermelon vendor, Cartegena

I saw this watermelon vendor, sitting  in front of Café Havana on Calle Media Luna in Cartagena, several times day while there recently. Both he and his watermelon looked sweet, and I looked forward to buying some and getting to know him. He was only there during the day, when the cafe was closed.

He looked ‘cool’ to me…in personality and temperature. :) I loved his hat and and very white shirt and how his umbrella was positioned just right to give him some extra shade, which is necessary in Cartagena–the hottest/most humid city I visited in Colombia.

Watermelon vendor, Cartegena

One day, however, he wasn’t there. I thought–‘Qué pasó?’ Well, nothing really. He simply moved to the other side of the street. I’m not sure why he changed location. Maybe it was the angle of the sun? Perhaps the shade was better there?

The day I left, I had too many errands to run (like going to the bank) and I took care of them late in the afternoon. It took a lot longer than I thought. By the time I returned, he was gone for the day. And then I went to Santa Marta and never saw him again.

Maybe next time…

Your Thoughts/Experiences?

Have you been to Cartagena? If so, did you stay on or stroll along Calle Media Luna? Did you spot this man? And what did you think of that part of town?

I stayed on that street and the first night I thought it was ‘media luna’ (half crazy). That’s how busy and noisy it was. I learned the next day that on Wednesday nights (my arrival night), there’s always a huge party at the Media Luna Hostel. The next night it was calmer, fortunately.

Want to see more posts about Colombia? Click here. Here are more photos of people from around the world whom I’ve seen or gotten to know.  And here other ‘photos of the day‘ (people, places and things) from several continents.

Like to play games? Want to see things from a unique angle? Enjoy learning about new places? Then check out my  Trippy Travel Photos!

8 Responses to Watermelon Vendor Cooling Off in Front of Cafe, Cartagena, Colombia (Photo of the Day)
  1. Nick @ theboywander
    August 5, 2014 | 12:47 am

I stayed at the Media Luna Hostel, I remember the crazy Wednesday nights too.
    I don’t remember seeing this man in particular but certainly remember many like him all through Cartagena. It’s crazy how many memories of Cartagena are brought back just from seeing the iron gate and the red-painted stonework in the background, so iconically Cartagena!
    Nick @ theboywander recently posted..Dear India: It’s not me, it’s you.My Profile

2. Maria Falvey
    August 5, 2014 | 3:53 am

What a sweet grandfather and oh my! The color of that watermelon is amazing and has really wet my appetite. Yum!
    Maria Falvey recently posted..Song of the ArcticMy Profile

3. Brenda
    August 14, 2014 | 5:21 am

are you going to post any other photos of your trip ?

4. Cristy
    August 17, 2014 | 7:54 am

It’s really great to see how this man enjoyed the idea of selling some watermelons. Haven’t been to Cartagena yet but I think adding it on my “vacay” list will definitely excite me, considering engaging locals are part of my turf. Thanks for letting me drop by on your blog.
    Cristy recently posted..Haven’t Experienced Much of an Enjoyable Campfire Meal? Here’s how to StartMy Profile

August 17, 2014 | 8:01 pm

Hi, Cristy. Thanks for checking out the photo. Cool that you like to interact with the locals, too. :)

5. Missouri Bus
    September 3, 2014 | 8:36 am

I have never been to that area but what a great photo. A watermelon vendor is actually a very refreshing idea.

September 3, 2014 | 8:41 am

Hi and thanks! Definitely refreshing… :)